The Cadejo (Guatemala)

Long ago, when I was still young in 1997, I was coming back blind drunk to my house in Mixco, Guatemala. It had been a fantastic Friday; I had drunk several fine beers with my friends, and I felt like the king of that place. However, I would remember that night for the rest of my life, but not for this specific reason.

I was not sure where I was going when suddenly I almost fell down on a massive cliff. How did I survive, you might be wondering? To be honest, I just felt an extremely fast wind that shoved me from the cliff. I hit the pavement very badly.

The strange wind followed me from the distance until I arrived home safely. I am convinced the same wind had been protecting me before, but I was never sure if it had been my imagination only or something else, until that day.

During the following weeks, I went to visit a childhood friend who lived in Jutiapa. I shared with him my odd experience with this odd wind that saved me. He was somehow concerned because he recognized what this wind was, and he shared with me the following anecdote.

Many moons ago, the Almighty created a white spirit who would frighten all humans in the Guatemalan lands. However, his true purpose was to protect them. He called him the Cadejo.

The new spirit had a very peculiar form. It looked like a hound but with little goat’s hooves and eyes like blue embers. Also, its body was very woolly.

On that day, the devil sent a spy to heaven. He eavesdropped when the Almighty was proudly presenting his new creation to the archangels. The spy shared the news with his master. The devil got upset and enraged as never in his life. He was so angry because the Almighty could not create beings to frighten humans. That was his duty, only his!

The devil used all his powers and created a copycat of the new spirit. However, he would have some differences. The copycat would be black and with red embers. Also, his only purpose would be to cause as many wicked actions as possible, especially to everyone who observed him at night. This other spirit became known as the black Cadejo.

The two Cadejos started to do what their creators had commanded them, protecting people, or causing troubles in the cities for centuries.

Many people were afraid of leaving their homes after 8 PM because they did not know what to expect. However, one unexpected night, they had a change of heart, and both became the protectors of all Guatemalans at night.

The black protects the drunk men on their way back to their homes. If any drunk man ever walked next to him, he would start feeling his presence, but he would not be able to see it. He would accompany him until he reached his home safely. Some chosen ones swore they had seen the black Cadejo on some nights. They said he was following the drunk man from a distance, but somehow, he looked very energetic. Sadly, the locals still perceive him as a wicked spirit because of his shady past.

On some rare occasions, the black Cadejo can perceive that some drunkards are a lost cause. He identifies that based on their hearts because they are full of selfishness, dark intentions, and envy. On those nights, he licks their mouths, and they will never be able to sober up. The black Cadejo will follow them for nine days until they die.

On the other hand, the white one focused on protecting every woman and child at night when they return home. He knows they are most vulnerable to all villains on the streets and will walk next to them and protect them.

Once in a blue moon, the white Cadejo has defended some drunkards from the black’s lick. On those nights, when both are face-to-face (figure 1), they enter into fierce and bloody combat. The white spirit tries to protect the man while the black one attacks him until they can reach an agreement on whom is right.

Be aware of their presence if you ever pretend to get drunk in the Guatemalan lands!

On that day, I stopped my bad drinking habits. I understood that the black Cadejo had been protecting me all these years. However, it was time to take care of my life because maybe one day, he will not be with me.

Figure 1. The Cadejos.

Inspired by Guatemala.com’s version.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Cegua (Costa Rica)

Cigua (Honduras)

The Covered Lady (Ecuador)